Friday, January 13, 2012

Cornellians in Houston

I'd like to propose an informal prediction contest for our blog readership. I probably should have posted this earlier given the irregularity with which most people check the site, but we'll see what turns up. Better late than never.

As you all know, Max King (2:15:34 in B'more), Sage Canaday (2:16:52 in San Diego), and Zac Hine (2:16:54 in Boston) are running the Trials tomorrow. Your job is to pick their finish order and times. Here's how the ultra-complicated scoring will work:

5 points if you pick their respective finishes correctly (e.g. Max then Sage then Zac; you don't need to say how they'll measure up against the rest of the field.

1 point for each time guessed within a minute of the actual time run.

2 points for each time guessed within 30 seconds of the actual time run.

3 points for each time guessed within 10 seconds of the actual time run.

10 points if you predict a time to the second.

Time-related points are not additive, so the maximum number of points you can get is 35.

The winner will get something cool. Most likely, I'll send you a free racing singlet once I get around to designing and ordering them. Everyone else who wants one will have to pay for it, but you'll have a free one. Look at you. You in your free jersey. Hey, how'd you get that? You won it; that's how.

5 comments:

  1. I'll go first, since I just realized this contest runs the risk of alienating friends, and I figured I should at least be in on the action if I'm going to expect others to do it. I've been following Sage's training more than anyone's but I do know that Zac has been hitting 140 mpw pretty consistently, and Max is a straight up stud with a lot of impressive results in recent history. It's VERY difficult to separate these three hence the contest.

    My picks:

    Zac Hine 2:14:20
    Max King 2:14:37
    Sage Canaday 2:15:02

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think they'll all be close.

    Zac 2:15:15
    Max 2:15:45
    Sage 2:16:00

    I know it's lame for this "contest" that I picked the same order as Sam, but I can't help the fact that I agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, don't you dare divulge the fact that this isn't a real contest. Just think: The winner will get to hold my empty promise over my head until I make good of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam: 5 points from Max.

    Ross: 0 points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pathetic failure I am. Ritz, I know your pain.

    ReplyDelete