Wednesday, February 16, 2011

25 Days Until Celebrate Life

I realized today that our half marathon is coming up faster than some may think. As the temperatures slowly warm (it's a balmy 30 degrees outside right now), I can't help but get excited for our first test of marathon manhood on this journey to hell and back.

At this point, I wanted to check to make sure that everyone is registered. I haven't spoken with Jeff about it, but now is the time to sign up if you're interested. As I said before, I've got a double bed room lined up, so unless things change, it's looking like we'll have a three-way on our hands in Rock Hill.

Last year's winner was 1:18:30, for a pace of 5:59. Do you guys think it's realistic to attempt this kind of performance or should we keep it in our pants?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, good question. I don't know if I'm ready to push a 6 minute 13 miler yet. I could be convinced to try for the win.

    I'm registered and I'm pretty sure that Ross is registered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am officially registered and have my plane ticket to NYC.

    Sam, it seems like you could shoot for the win without completely blowing up, especially since you've done some races and have had recent experience pushing through pain.

    My plan is to run the first 7-8 miles around 7:00 pace or slightly faster (depending on how challenging the course is) and see what happens from there. More of a marathon simulation. No matter what I'm going to make sure I'm feeling strong the last three miles, rather than going out too hard and dragging myself in. That would be a bad idea for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. I had forgotten where we left things. It would be nice to get dinner Saturday night, though I'm flying back to Syracuse from Phoenix on Saturday, getting in after 4. It's just under a three hour drive, so maybe an 8 o'clock sitting somewhere in Rock Hill is doable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for my absence, I have been able to follow along; however it was difficult to respond to posts regarding football after the Jets feeble 1st half effort in the AFC championship game. It may surprise you to learn, I have not been jogging at all with the exception of the two mile once every other week. Throughout my limited experience with running, I’ve found it exceptionally easier to jog when the temperature is around 90 degrees than when it is below 20. I plan to start back up in the beginning of March, following the rookie jogging instruction plan I began the previous fall:

    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--6851-2-2X5X8-4,00.html

    When I’m half way through the training– (beginning of April) I will commit to the half in Pittsburgh

    Some of my goals for the fun run err I mean race:
    Finish the race.
    Finish +35 minutes before Sam/Gordon finish the full marathon.
    Find a group of sorority girls running and inquire on an after-party

    ReplyDelete