Saturday, February 26, 2011

Week 15 Recap

RO$$: S(0), M(9), T(8), W(0), R(8), F(8), S(8). 41 miles total. This week I pretty much was going through the motions, which I suppose is to be expected since I both hit 60 miles and ran seven days in one week for the first time in like four years. I'll be completely honest -- I'm not really enjoying this "training" process. I'm tired of coming home every day and running for an hour or whatever by myself in the dark; it's getting old. It seems like all I'm doing is assuring that I'll break three hours, but nothing more. That prospect doesn't exactly excite me, but I sure as hell don't want to work any harder, hence my frustration. I'm still really looking forward to the marathon itself, I just wish it were closer than two-and-a-half months away.

This week, once again, there are no Penguins home games, so I may try to hit 60 again. We'll see. I'm hoping that tomorrow I can do a long run, but the trails around here were still covered in snow today, and I highly doubt I'll suck it up and run for two hours around the city, so I'm not feeling too optimistic about that one. Until next week!

Broken Promise Man: S(20), M(6), T(8 w/ 35 minutes cut down from race pace), W(6), R(14 w/ Jerry Smith fartlek work for about an hour), F(6), S(7). Total mileage=67. Yes, I broke my promise of running 70 miles this week, but there really wasn't room to push for those extra miles considering I really enjoyed/needed my short, easy days. Thursday's workout was intense but good for me. I figure I can handle probably Jerry (who coaches the Syracuse Track Club) for once a week without getting broken. The pace work on Tuesday was a mental challenge being on a treadmill, but it felt OK. This coming week might be down a bit since there's the Tipp Hill Shamrock 4M on Saturday. I'm planning to run that hard and let the chips fall where they may with the half. I would echo Ross's comments with training, though I blame it mostly on the long winter. Speaking of hockey, I saw my annual Syracuse Crunch game tonight. They lost to Hamilton 3-2. Nate Guenin spent the last two minutes in the penalty box for slashing.

Gordon
: S(16) M(5) T(3) W(10) R(10) F(10) S(6) 60 miles total. I, honestly, felt that I had to have a 60 mile week here. I, also, had the week off. So, it would have been pretty pathetic to have not made it. All things being equal, having more time did not make it any easier to run. Molly had an interview at Penn State. So, we were traveling from New York to my parents place to State College. This meant that while I was in State College I was running with a watch rather than running a familiar loop. A lot more boring than running a trail or a loop. The first run in State College was pretty fun, thinking about being on campus and living there next year, but after that I was just running on the side of a road, getting my feet wet in slushy snow, and hating every car that passed me by.

I, also, hate winter, miss the sunlight and am looking forward to the days when I can stop counting my mileage again.

1 comment:

  1. The winter really hasn't helped. It never bothered me much in the past, but in college and high school I never ran alone.

    Nate Guenin -- good man, I've been told he's a big fan of the blog.

    ReplyDelete