Sunday, February 13, 2011

Smayda

I don't know if I'll ever actually step on a track and race an 800 again. In the first year following graduation I was happy to look out the window, watch the rain come pouring down, and decide that I wasn't going to go for a run that day. But, not running, lost its charms pretty quickly.

By the 1-year-after-graduation mark, I was ready to run each day, even if it was raining, and, for that, I was proud of myself. I, also, felt like there had been more to my running career if I'd put in a few more years. Maybe I still could break 1:50.

So, I started talking to Will, and he designed some workouts. After work I would go down to Franklin Field and run them on the track during the open hours. On my spring break of that year I came to NYC to visit Molly and I ran some workouts with Will in Williamsburg. I felt fit.

Finally, Will convinced me to run a track meet. So, I went to the Icahn Stadium on (Randall's Island?) somewhere in NYC, and I entered the open 400.

Somehow, in the two years I'd been away from a track meet I forgot that I'm terrified of competing, and that I also hate losing. In the hours leading up to the 400 m I was awash in fear. When it came time to warm up I barely spoke, and during my stretches I stared into space. I think I ran 52. something, but I don't remember exactly what it was. What I do remember is that I was furious with all of the chumps who thought they were better than me. If I'd had the time I could have trained up and squashed their puny 400 m dreams. As it was they walked away from this meet easily defeating the tall skinny oldman who seemed to glower at them while shaking their hand after the race.

That was three years ago and that was the last track race I've run in my life. I've thought about entering again here and there, but I hate the idea that someone I used to beat (Someone I am BETTER than) would be able to take me down.

Will sent met his video this morning. I don't know if I will run a track meet ever again, but this is certainly inspiring (envy).


Watch more video of 2011 BU Valentine Invitational on flotrack.org

7 comments:

  1. Gordon, more posts like this please. Maybe you can serve as a contemplative counterpoint to my total inability to be serious anytime I write about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poem to commemorate this race. I call it "One Fifty."



    One Fifty
    Point Eight Five

    Well done, Smayda.
    You've poked a hole
    In the rustic facade
    I've built around
    My locomotive failures.

    Now you're cooking
    With gas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is second poem to commemorate your stomping of the field, Smayda

    I call it, "Hair of the Dog."

    Heartbreaker, soul shaker
    I've been told about you (Smayda)
    Steamroller, the midnight shoulder
    What they been sayin' must be true (Smayda)

    Red hot mama, oh that charmer
    Time's come to pay your dues (Rounding the final turn)

    Now you're messin' with a (a son of a bitch)
    Now you're messin' with a son of a bitch

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem with that 400 was that you warmed up for more than 2hours, with like an hour of strides. Still I think you ran 51.1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys ROCK. Robyn E. told me about this blog (how could I not know this existed?). Nice post Gordon. I felt the exact same way for a year after graduating. I don't doubt that any of you could run fast again if you decided to. Anyone up for a 4x8 in Barton sometime next winter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This video made me so happy for like two straight days. Smayda, I can't post on your facebook wall so I will just congratulate you here. Amazing race- very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete