Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Final Call for Reach the Beach

We've been throwing ideas around on how we can keep this blog around post-Pittsburgh. There are three races on my radar for the fall: Reach the Beach, Tough Mudder, and the Empire State Marathon in Syracuse, NY.

Since these are all about a month apart starting with Reach the Beach in September, it's not out of the question that, time permitting, we could run all three. Moreover, Ross, Gordon, and I have found this blog to be a great way to keep in touch with many of our friends, and we all like the idea of having our friends take part in the running side of things as well.

That brings me to Reach the Beach. I've posted about it before. Essentially, it's a two-day event that takes place over 200 miles. Teams of up to 12 people run the race non-stop. It's held in New Hampshire on September 16-17.

Most importantly, over 80% of the spots are filled at this point. I'm not even sure we'll get a spot if we apply by the end of this week, but if there's interest, we should take our chances. Without further ado, please reply if you are definite about being able to come out to run.

(Note, with the utmost respect to our female readership, our preference is to field an all-male team. We're not trying to be dicks about it. That said, a co-ed team would be a lot of fun, too, and we will certainly entertain the possibility if we can't get enough guys signed up. What I mean to say is...everyone should post their interest.)

12 comments:

  1. Sign me up for Reach the Beach and Tough Mudder. The Empire State Marathon is the weekend of my Mom's birthday. This doesn't mean that I can't be convinced, but...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obviously in.

    Alyssa gave an enthusiastic "yes" in the earlier post, while Jeff gave a cryptic show of support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we have a strong all-male team, I'd be in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to offer my services as a driver.
    Qualifications:
    Great driver
    Experienced van driver (drove a 12 passenger van to school for 2 years in high school; took my drivers test in a 12 passenger van)
    Great musical taste
    Excellent at giving moral support
    Masterful race tactician

    Also, Will - whats up with the sexism? I feel like Alyssa would kick your ass in anything over 3k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oliver, thanks for the support....I'll give Will anything up to 5k, but after that, I think it could be fairly competitive.

    Sam, Sarah Fischer is interested but it's sort of difficult for her to 100% commit to things this far in advance, since she never knows if she'll have a case or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ill do the race to the beach. count it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good man. In so far:

    Gordon
    Sam
    Ross
    Will
    Charles
    Oliver (driver)
    Alyssa

    It appears that our best shot is fielding an ultra team of 6 guys. This means 33 miles per person, which over a 24 hour span, doesn't sound too bad. Any more than 6 and we should really be shooting for 12 people, which doesn't look realistic. Alyssa, do you think there is any chance of signing up five more girls? I guess Natalie would do it and Carrie could potentially be convinced.

    We have to hurry on this since we really needed to get an application in last week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to be a wet blanket, but I don't think I can do this. Given that I'll have just started school at this time, and that I'll have recently wrapped up three weeks of other traveling, I just can't commit, so I'm afraid you'll have to count me out.

    As for Tough Mudder, I'm with Natalie. Having watched the video several times now, it just doesn't look fun at all. But if you guys do it, I will say I'll fully plan on taking part in the weekend. I'll watch you two electrocute yourselves and nearly drown in freezing mud, cheering you on the whole, and then you guys can call me a pussy when you're done. Everyone wins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Understandable. I was in talks with Steve about fielding a Marist-Cornell team, but that doesn't look likely at this point either. Maybe we should try again for Hood to Coast next year, looking ahead to a time when there is less going on.

    I am going to sign up for Tough Mudder today, though. While I agree with the point that it looks awful, Will pointed out the bigger down side of this event to me: the competition largely looks like a bunch of out-of-shape frat guys and they go far enough to discourage outright racing. That said, I look forward to running the timed heat and possibly building some upper body strength before then. God knows I wouldn't be in any kind of running shape right now if I didn't have this marathon looming over my head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in for Reach the Beach, if there are any spots left at this point. These relays races are a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any other Marist guys? I think Steve is out, though maybe we could convince him.

    ReplyDelete