Saturday, March 26, 2011

Week 19 Recap

RO$$: S(9), M(8), T(11), W(0), R(11), F(0), S(17). 56 miles total. Really not a great week, although it was my highest daily average for one week so far. Today's long run did not go well. I drove out to a trail where I could do a relatively flat, out-and-back run. My intent was to run out nine miles at whatever pace I felt like, and then see what I could do on the way back. Well, on the way back I had a side stitch that I couldn't shake (which is my fault since my only pre-run food was a cinnamon bun and a blueberry muffin), and eventually my legs started shutting down. Once I hit mile 17, I decided to just walk it in rather than do further damage. That probably sounds worse than how things actually played out, since most of the way back I was going around 6:50 pace (which felt slow), and I never went slower than 7:20. Still, I certainly wasn't blazing in around 6:00 pace as I had hoped I would. Lesson of the day for the race: respect the distance.

And, Sam, I loved your last post. I laughed out loud when you said you were trying to hit 90 this week. I admire the ambition. Apologies to the readers for my recent silence. (The flood of emails can stop now.) Maybe I'll write a post of my top fifty least favorite things that kill the excitement in the last minute of college basketball games.

Sam: S(20), M(6), T(14), W(5), R(14), F(6), S(6). Total = 71. In the scenario where I ran 90 this week, Friday would have been 10 and I would have logged a second long run today (Saturday)--the old fake long week that Robert and Bruce used to rave about during long-short summer mileage training. Alas, it obviously didn't happen. Oh well, probably for the best.

3 comments:

  1. Ross, I think that long run sounds pretty good. We have just under seven weeks still, which puts you in position for at least four more longs not counting yesterday.

    I'm sort of finding myself in the position of hanging on after a 22-miler yesterday. I ran it as slowly as I could and it felt great other than the fact that I was running for 2:40. My dilemma is how to maintain momentum for the time left. I'll probably start seriously tapering three weeks out given that the Mountain Goat 10 miler is two weeks before the 'thon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross - sounds like just a fuel issue. You're fine. No keys, push to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support, guys.

    I forgot to reply to an earlier comment of Sam's, but I am totally on board with shooting for Hood To Coast next year. I'm still smarting over the year we got rejected thanks to Robert.

    ReplyDelete