Friday, March 25, 2011

Pace Work

This morning, Natalie was up and out the door by 5:30. She's been periodically going to Ithaca to oversee a test panel at IC for her upcoming book. I slept. In fact, I usually sleep as long as I can, generally 8-9 hours a night. I think the biggest reason for this has been the running.

This week has been good but rough on the legs. My quads have a deep-seated sort of fatigue that disappears when I take an easy day but returns mid-workout. A lot of last week's work has carried over into this week's, I think.

I felt it at the end of my long run on Sunday. Tuesday, I did a workout where I did 4x Barry Park, which is, at this time of year, a super muddy 1.1 mile circle near our house. Splits there were 6:39, 6:34, 6:34, 6:36 for an average pace of about 6 minutes per mile. I then went to the SU track for 3x mile but ended up running 2x 1.5 miles since it felt easy. These were at 5:48 and 5:50 pace, respectively. When I got home, quad time was back with a vengeance.

Wednesday I dropped an easy 5 miles with Natalie and was feeling good, but then yesterday, I foolishly did another workout: 3x 8 minutes at 5:40 pace with a mile-pace 400 after each rep and a 5:40 mile at the end.

My initial plan for this week--driven by the allure of logging a ridiculous 90 miles on singles thanks to sandwiched long runs and long midweek workouts--was to bump my long run to Saturday. The other idea was to run Saturday's 10 mile Mountain Goat training run at marathon pace. But come on. That would be stupid. The new plan is to run as easy as possible for two days before doing another long Sunday.

Post note: I suppose I could have waited until tomorrow to post all this workout drivel. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment