Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Charley Update

This morning, I wanted to give everyone an update on the training partner. After a few days of brisk walking, Charley (we decided it's spelled this way because he was Harley when we got him from the kennel) has improved a lot in the speed department. I've worked him up from short fartlek style training to this morning's run of about 1.5 miles. My goal is for him to be able to run at least 6 miles with me, so that morning runs are that much easier, though I'm starting to think that he could eventually handle more.

Living in a wire crate can't be good for the joints. I'm not sure how long he's been cooped up, but I imagine it's been for a while. I can't think he would have gone straight from some irresponsible person's home to a kill shelter to Helping Hounds in Syracuse over the course of a week.

Natalie is still not entirely sold on keeping Charley, and I don't blame her. I would really like the decision to be mutual, even if I am getting more enamored with him each day. One option would be to keep him long-term and see if Becky would want him at a later date. He really is a great dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment