Sunday, November 28, 2010

Never again


Here, if you look closely, you can see Seidel in blue on the right side (wearing only the singlet). My head, protruding from a red shirt, is a few feet behind him. I briefly overtook the race about a quarter of a mile in, but lost it on the hill and never regained.

Oddly enough the photographer didn't make it to the finish line to capture Will's victory, but he did manage to capture the 8th place finisher. There is something about the celebration.


As an interesting aside, this race was held in 19 degree temperatures. In NYC, the day before, the temperature had been 60 degrees.

On a completely unrelated note, I had a professor at Penn who talked a lot about raising a son in Philadelphia as a single mother. Then, she came in in the winter between 2006-2007 and was real upset about some trouble that her son had gotten into in Atlanta. Gradually, we figured out that her son was DJ Drama, and that she was upset because of his arrest over copyright infringement.

4 comments:

  1. Gordon, is it just me or do all hills in Lancaster Valley look the same? The top picture looks like a hill in Gap I drive by on the way to Willow Valley retirement community.

    First week of half training in the books. I feel pretty good... After I complete the half on Jan. 15th, I mentioned to Sam that I'd give him a more definitive answer about joining you all for a jog in the city of champions come May.

    No reason to change the name of the blog on my account though; Oliver and I will start our own. 'Naked Couch Lounging' or 'Hole in the Wall Productions' - following up on Sam's idea for monetization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was curious about the location of this Turkey Trot as well, so I did some internet research. Here are the results from this year's running:

    http://www.sunapeeturkeytrot.com/?res

    I'm impressed that Will is a four-time Lake Sunapee Turkey Trot champion. However, I am less impressed that he smoked your sorry ass by almost two minutes. Please take the time to provide ample excuses for such humiliation below.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff - it's funny how much New Hampshire looks like Lancaster, but this is actually Lake Sunapee New Hampshire

    Do join, man. It'd be great to get a group of guys out to Pittsburgh.

    As for Sam - I don't feel the need to offer any excuses. My performance speaks for itself

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm game for starting that other blog Jeff (i prefer your former suggestion). Regardless, it seems its time for this fat, old chunk o' coal to get in shape. With my recent methods of exercise - which included naked couch lounging, mid-afternoon walks to Chinatown for Lunch II, and one near fatal attempt at becoming a professional paint-baller in the CPBL (Canadian Paint Ball League) - proving unsuccessful, perhaps the motivation of not dying in Pittsburgh this May will get my hiney in gear. While my commitment to the marathon has yet to result in my registration for the event, my training has begun.

    After running twice last week, I followed up this week with 4 brisk walks to and from work. Additionally, one vital change to my lifestyle occurred last week when I hired a maid (not joking) which should free up about three and a half hours of my time each month that I would have otherwise spent vacuuming and tile scrubbing. I plan on using the newly acquired 3.5 hours to visualize my marathon mile by mile once a month while getting a deep tissue massage and mud bath at a local spa.

    But in all seriousness, I doubt I'll run the marathon this spring and this will probably be the only time I write on this blog. I love you all.

    Oliver

    ReplyDelete