Sunday, December 5, 2010

Painful #$&%* 3k

So yesterday I set a Barton Hall record for being a big out of shape piece of shit. There really isn't much to recap other than a few personal highlights.

Getting the 3rd lane assignment, I was pretty slow off the line, just wanting a position on the rail so I could go to sleep and not worry about all the pushing BS. There was plenty of that anyway for the first 800, which saw several Mackenzie-style inside passes to keep punks off my biz. Though slower than I wanted, the mile went by fairly well in 4:52.

Robert was on the phone with Oliver at this point, who had called Robert to check in on the fate of a fake 4x800 Cornell relay named "Team Oliver Tassinari." Robert told Oliver that my next quarter was 76, which brought Oliver to tears (of laughter). He will pay for his insolence.

A few 76's later, my day was essentially done. I did manage to close in 34 to outkick some kid I vaguely recognized from Aim High. This tells me what I suspected all along -- namely I could have run faster, but was burdened by how hard running that fast felt after not working out. I subsequently got frustrated and apathetic and slow.

There are plans in the works to get more comfortable with 35's and maybe take another shot in January.

Final time: 9:23.

2 comments:

  1. I think what you should aim for is to run the home meet the weekend before Heps, because if you don't know whether or not you're not going to Heps, then that meet is Your Heps. I will cherish my My Heps mile title for as long as I live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Shut up Oliver. You couldn't run 2-76's right now." -Coach Robert Johnson after I laughed at his reports of Sam running 76 for the 5th quarter of his 3k.

    The thought of running a 3k - nay - any race in Barton Hall makes me sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete