Saturday, April 23, 2011

Week 23 Recap

RO$$: S(9), M(10), T(10), W(10), R(9), F(13), S(9). 70 miles total, and if you go from last Saturday through Friday, I ran 77 miles in a seven day span, so after three sub-par weeks, I'm back, baby! I don't really have anything interesting to say about the week since all I did was jog around. It wasn't good. It wasn't bad. It just was.


My plan for the next two weeks is to continue doing what I'm doing. My friend James and I used to joke about how Ben True was the only athlete in the Heps who was undertrained/talented enough that he'd actually get in better shape through the preliminary rounds rather than become worn out, and I think I'm in a somewhat analogous position when you compare me with Sam (well, except for the talent part). I'll fart around in the last week, because I kind of did that before the half and that went well, but for the next two weeks it's business as usual.

Haters Gonna Hate: This week, my training takes the back burner to the fact that our dear blog has had it's first random internet stranger post, in defense of -------- -----'s race day bathroom mishap. It's a proud moment for Marathon à Trois, a proud moment indeed. If I'm in any position to hit my own 2:37 in Pittsburgh over the last six miles, rest assured, you'll all know what I'll be thinking about.

The week: S(14, tempo), M(off), T(6), W(9), R(8, hills), F(6), S(11, fartlek) for total of 54 miles. Sunday's run gave me a good backdrop for understanding the Boston winds, as Steve and I did an 8 mile tempo to see if he should bother running Mountain Goat amidst third year rotations (he should). We went four miles out on the canal path with a tailwind that we could barely feel and then got blasted the whole way back once we turned around. Overall, we averaged around 5:50, but rest assured, it was a whole lot harder with the head wind--easily 20 or so seconds per mile.


Gordon: S(10), M(6), T(5), W(5), R(6), F(10), S(8) - 50 mile week. I was planning on a week like Ross' where I could put in the last bit of mileage, but I got sick midweek. I have no idea how I'll feel for the marathon at this point. I think that I was feeling really good around the half marathon, but I haven't hit my stride training wise or at least as not as much as I'd like. The upcoming week is my last week where I'll do any kind of mileage. Then starting next week I'll probably put in a pretty mean taper, which I am looking forward to.

7 comments:

  1. Two summers ago my friend Daniel and I went biking kind of along the coast on New Jersey, and we noticed that people biking on the opposite side of the road (going the opposite direction) looked like they were going to die. We knew we had a tailwind, but it didn't seem that strong. We figured we were just in way better shape than the other people. Well, the way back was hell. That experience was the first thing I thought of when Mutai said that the tailwind at Boston didn't help them much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordon,

    Don't let the 3-week jitters get the best of you. Even if our mileage isn't adequate by most marathoners' standards, personally speaking, it's more consistent training than I've done in years. I think volume-wise it's a similar case for you if I'm not mistaken, so just look at it as a stepping stone and run the best time that you can. The taper will indeed be awesome. I just emailed Ross asking what TV series we should watch (all of) on the Saturday before the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel any better, Gordon, my post-half training has gone exactly as you describe. If we die, at least we'll die together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does actually make me feel a lot better. And, I would like to put a vote in for Friday Night Lights

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to suggest that, too, but I figured you guys have seen every episode. I've actually only seen the first season. Talk about motivational.

    Clear eyes, full hearts...Can't lose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will GLADLY watch any FNL season/episode. I have them all in some form.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obviously I won't be watching it with you, but I fully support you guys watching FNL. That show is second in my heart only to the Wire, and is made all the better by the appearance of Wallace starting in Season 4.

    ReplyDelete